So you have heard of Biryani and you have heard of Sambhar. You might have had them together as well. But have you cooked them together? Here is an interesting non-spicy fun dish to cook and eat.
- Ahem, let me see… basmati rice? yeah 250gms (for 4 people)
- 50gms Lentils, preferably tur daal (can also use chana dal or moong dal)
- Cut veggies, preferably tomatoes, onions, carrots, gourd and 1 cut drum stick. But you can even add peas, french beans, cabbage, cauliflower etc.
- 1/2 bowl of Sambhar masala, curry leaves & coriander leaves, 1/2 teaspoon asaphoetida, 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 1 table spoon of freshly prepared tamarind chutney (can use ready made paste or even tomato sauce is unavailable)
- Oil, Green chillies or red chilli powder, salt and sugar to taste.
- Boil rice and lentils in separate containers. If boiling in pressure cooker, boil them till it whistles 5-6 times
- While that happens, heat 2 tablespoon oil in a frying pan.
- Add jeera, green chillies and curry leaves to it (if you are using red chilli powder, dont add it now)
- Cook for a minute and then add cut onions to the mix.
- Cook the onions till they turn light brown
- Now add all other vegetables except tomatoes. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on a mid flame.
- By now, your rice and lentils would be cooked in the pressure cooker. Remove only the lentils out, add little water and mix them to form a good paste.
- Add the mixed lentils paste to the already cooked vegetables along with tomatoes, sambhar masala and the tamarind paste.
- Stir the mixture well. Add little water if required. Also add salt and sugar to taste.
- Break the lumps of rice so it is easier to mix it. Now add it to the cooked mixture of lentils and vegetables.
- Serve hot!
Tip: Serve the Sambharyani with a pudina chutney. You can also use curd-cucumber salad for taste.
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Okay folks, the first one out of Max’s closet, aka kitchen is one of my favorite dishes. Let me warn, this is not for men weighing above 80 and women weighing above any thing that they think is ‘fat’. 🙂
Bhujiya toast is one of the simplest dishes to make. All you need is-
- Sandwich bread slices
- Cheese spread (flavored or plain as per your taste)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Bhujiya Sev (preferably made by Haldiram’s or Chandu)
- Tomate Sauce or chatni to taste.
And, of course, you must also have a gas stove and a toast maker or tawa. Okay sorry, no more sick jokes. Here is how to make the bhujiya toast.
- (Assuming you cant find the toast maker) Heat the tawa on high flame for about 2 min.
- Grease the bread slices on both sides and put them on the tawa. Temper them till they turn golden brown on both sides
- Remove them from the tawa. Apply cheese spread on one of the slices and tomato sauce/chatni on the other.
- Now sprinkle bhujiya sev on both slices and join them together to make a sandwich.
- Enjoy your sandwich with your favorite chutney or sauce or simply eat it just like that.
Bhujiya Sandwich is a filling, yummy and easy to make breakfast. For a different taste, you can also use pepper or black salt and a cheese slice.
Most people who know me, may also know that I’m a foodie. Few of those know I also cook… and cook well 🙂
Ah I’m not boasting my skills. But with this blog, I’m just make some of the yummy dishes I make “with a difference’ a little popular. Here you go… enjoy reading and prepare if you like them.