- Ahem, let me see… basmati rice? yeah 250gms (for 4 people)
- 50gms Lentils, preferably tur daal (can also use chana dal or moong dal)
- Cut veggies, preferably tomatoes, onions, carrots, gourd and 1 cut drum stick. But you can even add peas, french beans, cabbage, cauliflower etc.
- 1/2 bowl of Sambhar masala, curry leaves & coriander leaves, 1/2 teaspoon asaphoetida, 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 1 table spoon of freshly prepared tamarind chutney (can use ready made paste or even tomato sauce is unavailable)
- Oil, Green chillies or red chilli powder, salt and sugar to taste.
- Boil rice and lentils in separate containers. If boiling in pressure cooker, boil them till it whistles 5-6 times
- While that happens, heat 2 tablespoon oil in a frying pan.
- Add jeera, green chillies and curry leaves to it (if you are using red chilli powder, dont add it now)
- Cook for a minute and then add cut onions to the mix.
- Cook the onions till they turn light brown
- Now add all other vegetables except tomatoes. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on a mid flame.
- By now, your rice and lentils would be cooked in the pressure cooker. Remove only the lentils out, add little water and mix them to form a good paste.
- Add the mixed lentils paste to the already cooked vegetables along with tomatoes, sambhar masala and the tamarind paste.
- Stir the mixture well. Add little water if required. Also add salt and sugar to taste.
- Break the lumps of rice so it is easier to mix it. Now add it to the cooked mixture of lentils and vegetables.
- Serve hot!
Tip: Serve the Sambharyani with a pudina chutney. You can also use curd-cucumber salad for taste.